Skip to main content

A "Disaster" of the use of the word.


dis·as·ter

  [dih-zas-ter, -zah-ster]  Show IPA
noun
1.
a calamitous event, especially one occurring suddenly and causing great loss of life, damage, or hardship, as a flood,airplane crash, or business failure.



I don't think there is anything at this moment that perplexes as much as when someone is using the word "disaster" in context that doesn't even remotely measure up to the word. 

I currently work in a customer service based position for a shoe retailer. My job is fun and I thoroughly enjoy my interactions with customers, but sometimes there are customers who are a tad bit over dramatic.

The other day a customer came into the store with clouds over her head, huffing about how what she purchased was not what she wanted and her experience was a complete "disaster". So I proceeded to listen and understand where she was coming from but I too realized I had something looming over head. I could not pass up the fact that she used the word "disaster" to describe her experience with a materialistic item.

I quickly put my personal thoughts in the drawer and kindly helped the customer and she was on her way with her money but still disgruntled. I am sure there are many factors that attributed to her feelings about her experience, but was it so bad that it was the end of the world to her? Was everything she had wiped away from her in mere seconds due to a natural disaster like those recently in the Philippines? Did she lose loved ones over her purchase? No I don't think so.

I digress, I appreciate her attempt to provide business to us as her purchases help provide my paycheck. However, the thing I appreciate the most about this customer is that she helped me realize that there is no reason to fret over the little things and to choose my words wisely when I describe my experience with certain situations.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moments of Happiness

I had a dream about Shez. For those who don't know, Shez was a most beloved pet Shih Tzu of 17 years. She passed away peacefully over a year ago. Laying in my bed, deep in dream land, there was this notion that I was laying in the exact spot however accompanied by Shez. The best cuddle buddy I have ever had. Ever. She was in her elderly stages, but still circling aimlessly on top of the blankets, just trying to find the right time to plop her little body down to rest. I loved watching her do that. Especially right when she would lay down, she would let out this little puppy sigh as if the demands of her life were so heavy that she was excited to finally be able to lay down for the fiftieth time that day. This dream was bittersweet. I did not want to wake up, holding on to the lovely moment my mind was giving me. I miss Shez, but I know that all good things must come to an end. I am so thankful we had her for so long.

Cable subscription: I've gone back to bunny ears...the 2012 version.

Surprised with how much basic cable costs? Me too.  I found an alternative that works for me. Maybe you too.  Just read.  So the year was 2012 in the Ides of March (well around the 15th). Opened Google Chrome, clicked on the browser bar and stroked my keys to complete the following: www.comcast.net. Next step, Shop. Clicked the link. Eyes started to browse at bundles....major WTF moment. They want how much for only that? I apologized to the web page out loud. I had to remind myself that it wasn't it's fault. It was just posting the information it was given. So I hopped in my car, went to a Comcast location and yelled at them. Not really, just adding some drama into my story...however I still was mortified with how much the bundle cost.  I was uber ecstatic at first about cable. Moving into my own place and planning on getting all the shows for my viewing pleasure. For realsies. Monday Night Football would be an at home event come Fall!! So I started researching prices e

#TBT Audio Version

Locked the door to the house this morning and walked out to my car. Had a moment of panic as I forgot I parked in front, not in my usual spot in the driveway, but I really was only half awake to fully care. As I waited for the cars to pass for safe entry in to my vehicle, I started to think about what I should listen to on the way to work. “Ahhhh, today is Thursday.” I thought to myself as I pressed the button to start the engine. Friday Eve. The weekend is so close I can almost taste, smell and feel it. The feeling of the work week ending definitely needed to have a theme song. As I departed from home on my 9 minute journey down Yakima Avenue to work, the sweet sounds of Kylie Minogue’s Love Affair started to bump through my speakers. 3 minutes and 49 seconds of pure nostalgia. Nostalgia of a more simpler time in my life.  “ Now we've only just begun, We're running out of time, I don't wanna think about the sun” It’s a funny thing how your mind can recall such lyrics. I